Many games require you to set up a port forward. We have guides for every game and every router to help save you time. We have game guides for port forwarding PC, Steam, Playstation 5, Playstation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii. Simply follow one of our guides below and you should have a port forwarded in no time.
Why You Need a Port Forward for Gaming
There are many reasons you might want to set up a port forward when you are gaming. Some multiplayer games require a port forward in order to allow players to connect to each other. Other games attempt to make the connection automatically but fail often if at least one of the players doesn't have a port forward.
Another reason to port forward while gaming, is that oftentimes in a multi-player lobby the player with the port forward becomes the lobby host. As a result of port forwarding, players get significantly improved ping times, less lag, fewer glitches, and the potential for a much better gaming experience.
Another aspect of port forwarding games involves hosting game servers. If you have a game server and want your friends to connect to it then you are going to almost definitely need a port forward. This also applies to hosting game-related services such as TeamSpeak. A TeamSpeak server requires a port forward in order to allow your teammates to join it.
Many game update clients utilize peer-to-peer networking in order to distribute the bandwidth of game updates. A popular example is Blizzard. Generally speaking, if you have a port forward to the Blizzard update client, your game updates will download significantly faster.
How to Port Forward Your Router for Gaming
To set up port forwarding in your router you will start by logging in to your router. Then you will need to look through the menus and find the port forwarding section. Next, you will type in the port numbers for the ports that you want to be forwarded. If you are gaming on PC you can check to see if your ports have been successfully forwarded with our Port Checker. If you are gaming on a console you will need to check your port forwards by going through the menus of your gaming console and testing your connection.
Be sure you have set up a permanent IP address for your PC or game console before you get started. It is important to do this before creating port forwards because if your IP address ever changes, it can stop your port forwards from working. To get a permanent IP address you can make a DHCP reservation in your router or you can set a static IP address in your gaming device.
Step 1: Log in to your router
You'll need to type your router's IP address into your browser. Next, log in to your router using your username and password. For help with this step check out our Router Login guide.
Step 2: Find the port forwarding section
After you have logged in to your router, look through the menus to find the port forwarding section. It can be located in the security section and is sometimes called virtual servers or NAT.
For help with this step, we have guides based on your specific router. Visit our list of routers, choose your router from the list, and follow the guide for forwarding ports.
Step 3: Create port forwards
Once you have located the port forwarding section in your router you can set up your port forwards. You will need to know the IP address of your gaming machine and the port numbers that will need to be forwarded for the specific game. Visit our list of ports and applications to find out which ports to forward.
Here are some helpful links to understand more about port forwarding:
You can also forward ports automatically with Network Utilities
We make software that makes port forwarding easy. Why go through guide after guide trying to figure out port forwarding when we can forward your ports for you? Why choose Port Forward? Our software forwards your ports, so you can get back to gaming. How Network Utilities works.
Guides for Port Forwarding Games
Our guides walk you through the steps for forwarding ports in your router. Start by choosing the game that you want to forward ports for either by clicking on the game below or finding it in our list of ports and applications. Next, choose your router from the list of routers. Then you should see a guide listing the steps to forward ports in your specific router. The guide will show you how to log in to your router, find the port forwarding section, and set up port forwards.
If you are trying to change your NAT Type be sure to read our NAT Types Defined guide. This is the most comprehensive definition of gaming console NAT Types on the internet.
Here are some games that are popular right now. If the game that you are looking for is not here, be sure to check our list of All Ports and Applications.
- How to Open a Port in Your Router for Gran Turismo 7
- How to Port Forward in Your Router for Tekken 8
- Creating a Port Forward in Your Router for Street Fighter 6
- How to Create a Port Forward in Your Router for Diablo IV
- How To Open Ports in Your Router for Company of Heroes 3
- How to Open a Port in Your Router for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
- How to Port Forward Monster Hunter Rise in Your Router
- How to Forward Ports in Your Router for Nioh 2
- Opening Ports for FIFA 23 using Your Router
- How To Port Forward No Man's Sky
- How to Create a Port Forward in Your Router for Overwatch 2
- How to Port Forward Fallout 76
- Port Forward Quake Champions
- Forward Ports on Your Router for Guilty Gear Strive
- How to Port Forward Back 4 Blood in Your Router
- How to Create a Port Forward in Your Router for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
- Port Forwarding for MultiVersus
- How to Forward Ports in Your Router for Splatoon 3
- Forward Ports on Your Router for Temtem
- Port Forwarding on Your Router for Elden Ring
Check out this list of Games By Genre to find new games in your favorite gaming styles.
We also have a large collection of Game Walkthroughs written by gamers from our site with high-resolution screen captures.
These games have recently been added to our port forwarding guides. If the game that you are looking for is not here, be sure to check our complete List of all ports and applications...
- How to Port Forward Watch Dogs: Legion in Your Router
- Forwarding Ports in Your Router for We Were Here Forever
- How to Create a Port Forward in Your Router for SpellForce 3
- How to Port Forward in Your Router for Age of Wonders 4
- Forwarding Ports for Tetris Effect on Your Router.
- Port Forwarding for Clash: Artifacts of Chaos
- Port Forwarding on Your Router for Granblue Fantasy: Versus Rising
- How to Create a Port Forward in Your Router for Nobody Saves the World
- Port Forwarding on Your Router for Ikki Unite
- Forward Ports on Your Router for Undisputed
- How to Open a Port in Your Router for Shoulders of Giants
- How to Forward Ports in Your Router for World War Z: Aftermath
- Forward Ports on Your Router for PowerWash Simulator
- Port Forwarding for Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord
- Forwarding Ports for Wayfinder on Your Router.
- Creating a Port Forward in Your Router for Baldur's Gate III
- How to Open a Port in Your Router for Party Animals
- How to Create a Port Forward in Your Router for Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
- How to Forward Ports in Your Router for Roller Champions
- How to Port Forward Pinball FX in Your Router
To get started with port forwarding, visit our router guides.
For help understanding port forwarding and troubleshooting your router visit our Networking Help Center.